The Indian Section of the Theosophical Society is a component part of the Theosophical Society which was founded in New York, USA on 17 November 1875 by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, Henry Steel Olcott, William Quan Judge and others, and was incorporated under the laws of British India on 3 April 1905 with its Headquarters at Adyar, Madras, India.
The Indian Section of the Theosophical Society was chartered on 17 November 1890 effective from 1 January 1891. The Indian Section of the Theosophical Society was registered on 31 August 1903 with its Headquarters at Varanasi. It is the National Society for India to carry out within its jurisdiction the objects of the Theosophical Society.
- To form a nucleus of the universal brotherhood of humanity without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste, or colour.
- To encourage the study of comparative religion, philosophy, and science.
- To investigate the unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in man.